Cavan County Council is re-launching the Adopt a Road Initiative this month and is currently requesting businesses and community groups who are interested in participating to register their interest.
Published on: 13 Feb 2018
This programme relates to the collection of litter from roadside verges by businesses or community groups. Litter, for the purposes of this initiative will be any waste similar to, but not restricted to the following materials, that can be physically picked up by one person: paper, cardboard, plastic bags or film, plastic bottles, drinks/food cans, food wrappers or containers, packaging waste, cigarette ends.
How does the scheme work?
· A section of road measuring approximately 1km in length is allocated to the party wishing to adopt it. The area to be maintained is the road verge (which means the area of land running alongside the designated stretch of carriageway, within a minimum of 1 metre from the road edge).
· The business or community group must submit a Litter Maintenance Plan indicating the approximate dates when litter picking will be carried out. This exercise should be carried out a minimum of once every 3 months.
· A permanent sign is erected by the Council, displaying the business or community group who has adopted that particular stretch of carriageway.
· Reflective vests, gloves and a limited number of litter pickers will be provided.
· Once litter picking has been carried out, the Waste Management Section of the Council will arrange for the removal of bags collected.
· The intention is that the initiative should continue for a period of two years. You and the Council will, however, have the right at any time to withdraw. Entering into this initiative does not contain any expectation of a renewal after the initial two year period.
· Please note that Children under 16 years of age should not participate in a cleanup.
How to apply?
Application forms and further information are available by contacting the Waste Management Section at Cavan County Council, Old Library Building, Farnham Street, Cavan, H12RV10, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, at www.cavancoco.ie or by phone on 049 437 8300.