Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)

Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)

The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is an initiative introduced to cater for the accommodation needs of persons who are in receipt of rent supplement, normally for more than 18 months, and who have a long-term housing need (excluding asylum seekers or other non-nationals who do not have leave to remain in the State permanently and persons in receipt of the back to education allowance). The scheme is being administered by local authorities and is intended to provide an additional source of good quality rented accommodation for eligible persons to enhance the response of local authorities to meeting long-term housing need.

Key elements of the scheme include:

  • The applicant must be in receipt of a rent supplement under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme for a minimum of 18 months.
  • The applicant must have a long-term housing need, as assessed by the housing authority.
  • The applicant must have a right to permanent residence in the state.
  • The Council pays the full rent to the landlord on behalf of the tenant.
  • Landlords must register tenancies with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) and the tenancies are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.
  • The property must meet minimum standards for private rental accommodation as determined by the housing authority.
  • Deposits are not required since the Council has entered into a contract with the landlord.
  • The landlord must agree to the transfer of the tenancy to RAS.
  • The housing authority will pay the agreed monthly rent to the landlord on behalf of the tenant.
  • The landlord must be tax compliant.
  • Non-residential landlords are also liable to a 20% tax deduction made monthly. The Landlord may claim tax-credits on this deduction from Revenue.
  • The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 will govern the relationship between the landlord and the tenant.
  • A Building Energy Rating Certificate is required.

Contact details

If you have any queries in relation to the RAS Scheme please contact the RAS Unit, Cavan County Council on 049 4378300

Was this information helpful?
This form is for feedback on the webpage content. If you wish to report for example potholes, faulty street lights, barking dogs or any council housing maintenance issues please use the Report it option
Thank you for contacting Cavan County Council, we will review and deal with your query and contact you if we require further information.