Taxing a Private Vehicle
It is a legal requirement to have motor tax if you want to drive your vehicle in a public place. Motor tax is a charge imposed by the Government on some motor vehicles. Motor tax is collected by local authorities.
New or imported vehicle
Documentation required to tax a new or imported vehicle:
- Completed RF100 form (also available from garage if new, or Revenue Commissioners if imported). Form must be fully completed and signed.
- For first time taxing of a vehicle insurance certificate in name of registered owner must be produced when taxing the vehicle.
- Appropriate Fee.
Renew motor tax
Documentation required to renew motor tax:
Reminder Renewal form RF100B. Form must be fully completed and signed, ensuring insurance details are entered.
Motor Tax Renewal Form RF100A.
- when the vehicle has an arrears period
- when there is a period of non-use being declared
- when a change of ownership has taken place
- when the RF100B has been mislaid or lost
With appropriate fee
For first time taxing of a second hand vehicle, insurance certificate in name of registered owner must be produced when taxing the vehicle.
Renew tax where a re-declaration is necessary
Documentation required to renew tax where a re-declaration is necessary (e.g. change of class, change of engine, chance of colour):
- Completed Change of Particulars Form RF111
- Registration Book/Vehicle Licensing Certificate or Registration Certificate
- Letter from garage (where there is a change of engine or class)
- Appropriate Fee