What is a Well Grant?
A well grant is a grant for households in rural areas that are dependent on a private water supply (private well).
The grant provides financial assistance where households incur capital expenditure to drill a new well, upgrade an existing well and/or install a treatment system to ensure the water supply is wholesome and clean, or that the quantity supplied is sufficient to meet the domestic needs of the household.
Am I Eligible for a Well Grant?
There are three basic criteria of Eligibility for the grant.
- The house is occupied by the applicant as his or her normal place of residence and,
- The house is not connected to, and cannot reasonably be connected to, Irish Water or a Group Water Scheme and,
- The house has been fully constructed for more than 7 years.
How Much of a Grant is Available?
The level of a grant is determined by the type of improvement works being undertaken and shall not exceed the following amounts:
1. (I) 85% of the approved costs for rehabilitation works, subject to a maximum of €3,000.
(ii) 85% of the approved costs for the provision of a new well, subject to a maximum of €5,000 (where the housing authority agrees that this is the most appropriate solution).
2. 100% of the approved costs for works that, in the opinion of the housing authority, are necessary to treat the water to meet the water quality standards specified in the regulations, subject to a maximum grant of €1,000. Examples of such treatments are filtration or Ultraviolet treatment.
How do I Apply?
To apply for a well grant, please go through the following steps.
- View the terms and conditions for the improvement of a private water supply to a house - English (PDF, 205.4KB)
- View the terms and conditions for the improvement of a private water supply to a house - Gaeilge (PDF, 273kb)
- View the Water Analysis (PDF, 157kb)
- Print the Well Grant application Form - English (PDF, 343KB)
- Print the Well Grant application Form - Gaeilge (Word doc, 62KB)
Once you have completed your application form, please send it with supporting documentation to
Cavan County Council,
17 Farnham Street
Before making your application if you require help or have any questions regarding application form, eligibility, the procedure involved, or water analysis test, you can email email@example.com or tel: 049 437 8422.
We process personal data:
• Under Art 6 (1) (e) GDPR and in exercise of official authority vested in us as the controller under s 3 Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act, 1962, Water Services Act 2007 – 2017
Sharing of Personal Data
We may share your Personal Data with selected third parties, including for example government departments or other government agencies, where required to do so by law. We may also share your data with other Local Authorities, suppliers and other third parties (labs and water analysis companies) who assist us in fulfilling our functions.