Vehicle Testing & VRT

Vehicle Testing

Private Vehicles (NCT)

The National Car Test (NCT) is carried out for the Government by the National Car Testing Service Ltd (NCTS). The NCT conducts car (EU Category M1) roadworthiness testing. For further details, including booking a test, click

Goods Vehicles

All goods vehicles (EU Category N) must complete an annual roadworthiness test in a Commercial Vehicle Test Centre, regardless of how the vehicle is taxed. The motor tax category of a vehicle has no bearing on how the vehicle must be tested.

For more information on commercial testing of a vehicle, please click

 Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)

Vehicle Registration Tax is chargeable on the registration of a new or imported motor vehicle in the State. All motor vehicles in the State, other than those brought in temporarily by visitors, must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. A vehicle must be registered before it can be licensed for motor taxation purposes.

A guide to Vehicle Registration Tax is available from the Revenue Commissioners website where you will also find a VRT Calculator

Was this information helpful?
This form is for feedback on the webpage content. If you wish to report for example potholes, faulty street lights, barking dogs or any council housing maintenance issues please use the Report it option
Thank you for contacting Cavan County Council, we will review and deal with your query and contact you if we require further information.