Local Authority Home Loan
The newly-expanded Local Authority Home Loan Scheme is a new Government-backed mortgage for first time buyers and fresh start applicants. This scheme is available for new or second hand homes and self build homes. It also includes the purchase of homes through State schemes such as the Tenant Purchase Scheme.
The 'Fresh Start' principle means that people who are divorced or separated and have no interest in the family home, or who have undergone personal insolvency or bankruptcy arrangement or proceedings or other legal process, will be eligible to apply.
The Local Authority Home Loan is available nationwide from all local authorities from 4th January 2022.
Important Notice on LPT check: A Local Property Tax check is carried out by the Local Authority. The LPT check will compare the applicant(s) PPSN against a database of people registered for the Local Property Tax to confirm eligibility as a first time buyer.
- The loan is a normal Capital and Interest-bearing mortgage which is repaid by direct debit on a monthly basis.
- You can borrow up to 90% of the market value of the property.
- Maximum market values of the property that can be purchased or self-built are:
- €320,000 in the counties Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Louth, Meath and Wicklow, and;
- €250,000 in the rest of the country.
- As a single applicant, you must have an annual gross income of not more than €65,000 (gross) in counties Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Louth, Meath and Wicklow and be earning under €50,000 (gross) in all other counties
- Joint applicants must have an annual gross income of not more than €75,000 (gross) in all counties
Application forms are available on www.localauthorityhomeloan.ie, and can be downloaded at the link below:
Further information is available on the Local Authority Home Loan Website at www.localauthorityhomeloan.ie
The Help desk number for the Local Authority Home Loan is 051 349 720 and all enquiries should be directed here.