Freedom of information
Apply For Information under the Freedom of Information Act
Under the Freedom of Information Act you are entitled to request any official information held by Cavan County Council.
However, in order to allow Cavan County Council to properly conduct its business, it will sometimes be necessary to exempt from release certain types of information in some circumstances. These are set out in the Act.
Among the key exemptions are records relating to:
- Government meetings
- law enforcement and security
- confidential and commercially sensitive information
- personal information (other than information relating to the person making the request)
Making a request
If you would like to make an application for information held by Cavan County Council, please make the request in writing to Cavan County Council at the postal address below, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, making clear the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act. If you wish, you can use the Cavan County Council Request For Access To Records Under The Freedom of Information form to assist you in making your request.
Freedom of Information Officer
Cavan County Council
Please note, when you make a request you must submit the request in writing to the FOI Body that holds the records you are looking for.
- specify that the request is being made under the FOI Act
- be clear enough so that Cavan County Council understands what records are being requested. In cases where Cavan County Council is not clear what records are being requested, it will seek to assist the requester to put his/her request in such a way that the records being sought can be identified.
- When you are seeking information which is personal, you will be required to supply the appropriate identification as required by the decision maker.
- In cases where you are seeking to access records relating to a deceased person under section 37(8), you will be required to provide additional details in order to exercise these rights.
What Happens Next?
When we receive your application, we will let you know within 10 working days that we have received your request. We will then make a decision on your request within 20 working days of receiving your application.
However, if your application involves a large number of records, then we may require a further 20 working days to process your application. If this occurs then we will inform you and keep you informed if there are any further problems with your application.
If you would like to contact us with any questions or queries about the freedom of information, then please get in touch, using the details above.