Freedom of information
Apply For Information FOI
Under the Freedom of Information Act you are entitled to apply for access to information not otherwise publicly available. The Freedom Of Information Act states that every person has the following three new legal rights:
1. You have a right to the following records held by or under the control of Cavan County Council unless such records are exempted under the Acts:
- All records created after commencement of the Freedom Of Information Act 1997, which is from the 21st October, 1998
- Any records created before the 21st October, 1998 which are required to understand records created after commencement of the Freedom Of Information Act 1997.
- Personal records regardless of when created.
- If you are a Cavan County Council staff member you are entitled to view your personnel records from the 21st October 2005.
2. A right to access information regarding decisions made by Cavan County Council which directly affected yourself.
3. A right to seek correction of any personal information relating to you which is held by Cavan County Council if it is inaccurate, incomplete, or misleading.
If you would like to make an application for information held by Cavan County Council, please go through the following steps:
- Print the Request For Access To Records Under The Freedom Of Information
- Include the fee that is required as part of your application - Take a look at our Freedom Of Information Fees
- Please send your application, along with the appropriate fees to the following address:
Freedom of Information Officer
Cavan County Council
Cavan H12 R6V2
What Happens Next?
When we receive your application, we will let you know within 10 working days that we have received your request. We will then make a decision on your request within 20 working days of receiving your application.
However, if your application involves a large number of records, then we may require a further 20 working days to process your application. If this occurs then we will inform you and keep you informed if there are any further problems with your application.
If you would like to contact us with any questions or queries about the freedom of information, then please get in touch, using the details above.