The Domestic Lead Remediation Grant Scheme has been in existence since 2016 and the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage have revised the eligibility criteria with effect from 1 December 2022.

Lead is a naturally occurring metal that was used for pipework and plumbing in some houses built up to, and including, the 1970s. However, exposure to lead in drinking water has been identified as a serious public health risk. The grant scheme was introduced in line with the Government’s National Lead Strategy in order to reduce people’s exposure to lead in drinking water.

The aim of the grant is to assist households with the cost of replacing lead pipes and fittings within the boundaries of the property. The grant is available if you receive a water supply from either a public or private water supplier.

According to the World Health Organisation, there is no completely safe level of lead in drinking water. The best and most effective way of dealing with lead in drinking water is to replace all lead pipes and all lead plumbing delivering drinking water to the house concerned.

The Domestic Lead Remediation Grant Scheme in County Cavan will be administered by Cavan County Council on behalf of the Department.

Eligibility and grant amount

An individual may be eligible to apply for a grant to their local authority if they have lead pipes in their house and they meet the criteria set out in the Terms and Conditions of the grant scheme. The cost of works must exceed €750. The level of grant aid available is determined on the basis of 100% of the approved cost of the works, subject to a maximum of €5,000.

Only properties that are occupied by the applicant as their normal place of residence are eligible. For the purposes of eligibility, a normal place of residence includes long term tenants. If you reside in a private long-term rental dwelling, you can apply, once you have the permission of your landlord.

Private holiday homes and properties operated on a commercial basis are excluded (e.g. short term holiday lettings, self-catering properties, caravans/mobile homes, caravan/mobile home sites etc.). Properties owned by local authorities, housing associations, Health Services Executive etc. are also excluded.

How to apply

Conas iarratas a dhéanamh