Environement hero

Noise Complaints

Noise Complaints

Under the law, Cavan County Council is able to deal with certain kinds of noise pollution which occur in County Cavan.

Cavan County Council investigates noise complaints in relation to both commercial and industrial activities. In most cases, Cavan County Council does not investigate noise complaints relating to domestic noise.

If you are experiencing domestic noise pollution, we would recommend that you approach the person who is causing the noise and try to agree on a solution.

If this fails, you may bring a case to the District Court. This is done by going to the District Court Office and advising the Clerk that you wish to make a complaint in relation to noise. The Clerk will provide you with a form called a ‘Notice of Intention to make a Complaint’. You are not required to have a solicitor represent you in Court – you can represent yourself. The cost of bringing this application is €22.

How do I make an industrial or commercial noise pollution complaint?

If you wish to make a complaint about noise pollution which is coming from an industrial or commercial business, please send us your details by visiting the following page:

Where can I find information about noise pollution regulations?

To find out more information regarding the legislation surrounding noise pollution, please feel free to visit the websites:

Noise from barking dogs 

The Environment Section do not investigate complaints relating to noise nuisance from barking dogs but we can provide guidance and advice.  

Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986 specifically enables any person to seek a legal remedy in the District Court in respect of perceived noise nuisance from barking dogs. 

For more information visit:

If you would like to know more information regarding Cavan County Council and how we deal with noise pollution in County Cavan, please get in touch using the following details:

Was this information helpful?
This form is for feedback on the webpage content. If you wish to report for example potholes, faulty street lights, barking dogs or any council housing maintenance issues please use the Report it option
Thank you for contacting Cavan County Council, we will review and deal with your query and contact you if we require further information.