Improvement of private housing

This scheme allows the improvement or extension of privately owned property as an alternative to providing local authority housing.

The scheme is aimed at:

  • Owners or occupiers of a property which is below the accepted standard and/or overcrowded and require financial assistance in making any necessary improvements.
  • Local authority tenants, tenant purchasers or housing association tenants who wish to move into a property owned by a relative which requires improving or extended.

How do I qualify for the scheme?

In order to qualify for the scheme, you must be:

  • A registered member of the local authority housing list.
  • A local authority tenant or tenant purchaser who wishes to purchase a private property, returning the current property to the housing authority.
  • A tenant who has been on the rental subsidy scheme for more than one year and wishes to purchase a private property and return the current property to the housing authority.

How does the scheme work?

If your application is successful, we will carry out all of the work that is required to improve and/or provide extra bedrooms for the property.

The full cost for the required level of work will initially be made by us, which will then be repaid by you over a maximum of 15 years until the cost for the work has been paid back in full.

However, if you decide to sell your property within the 15 year period, then you will have to pay the outstanding amount to us for the work which was carried out.

Your successful application will also result in your removal from the housing waiting list.

How do I apply?

To apply for the Improvement of private housing scheme, please contact the following department who will provide you with the relevant documents and any assistance that need.

Housing Office
Farnham Street
Cavan Town
County Cavan

If you have any questions or queries regarding your application, please contact us using the details below: