Section 38 Notice - St. Mary’s National School, Virginia
Under the Road Traffic Act 1994 (As Amended), a road authority may, in the interest of the safety and convenience of road users, provide such traffic calming measures as they consider desirable in respect of public roads in their charge.
Notice is hereby given pursuant to Section 38 of the Road Traffic Act 1994 (As Amended) of the following scheme:
- Safe Routes to School Scheme, St. Mary’s National School, Bailieborough Road, Virginia Town, County Cavan.
The objectives of the project are:
- Increase the number the people arriving at school by active travel modes and thereby promote better physical health and wellbeing
- Enhance safety for children cycling, walking, and scooting to school
- Provide an accessible environment in the vicinity of the school
- Create a pleasant, playful and more welcoming public realm in the vicinity of the school
- Enhance biodiversity in in the vicinity of the school
- Reduce CO2 emissions in the vicinity of the school
- Improve noise and air quality in the vicinity of the school
- Be deliverable in a timely manner
- Be manageable within the resource available to the Council
The proposed scheme will consist of:
- Upgrading the existing footpaths including junction tightening
- Provision of new pedestrian crossing and upgrade existing one
- Erection of Safe Route to School banner.
- Traffic Calming Measures i.e. Road Narrowing
- Upgrade of existing drainage along the scheme.
- Road resurfacing and installation of new road markings.
- Installation of Rain Garden to the front of school boundary
Documents related to this scheme include:
- Preferred design drawing
- Scheme Summary
This scheme will be progressed under Section 38 of the Road Traffic Act, 1994. This section of the Act contains the legislation under which new traffic calming and cycling infrastructure is developed. Typical works carried out in exercise of Section 38 powers include road narrowing, speed cushions, footpath build outs, cycle tracks, bus corridors. Delivering these works under Section 38 does not require planning permission.
Plans and particulars of the proposed scheme can be downloaded below or are available for inspection at the offices of the Road Section, Drawings and particulars of the proposed development will be available for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, during normal office hours 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), at:
- Cavan County Council, Customer Service, The Johnston Library, Farnham Street, Cavan Town, and;
- Cavan County Council, Ballyjamesduff Municipal District, Main Street, Virginia
From Thursday, 23 June to Thursday, 21 July 2022, inclusive.
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, may be made in writing or email to email@example.com, or by post to Cavan County Council, addressed to the undersigned, on or before 4pm on Thursday, 21 July 2022.
Director of Services,
Roads & Infrastructure,
Cavan County Council
23 June 2022